The Waikato Historical Society was founded in 1954. Its objectives are to record local history, collect articles of local interest and educate public opinion.
Hockin House is an 1893 late Victorian dwelling that was the residence of the first four superintendents of Waikato Hospital. It takes its name from Doctor Munro Hockin who died in office in 1939, the last superintendent to live in the house.
Today the house is the headquarters of the Waikato Historical Society as well as a colonial folk museum. It is situated in Graham Park at the end of Selwyn Street in Hamilton near the Waikato Hospital.
Hockin House is available for meetings and small gatherings. It has an excellent car park, a well equipped kitchen and a heated meeting room which can seat up to 20 people. The Society meets monthly, usually 2pm on the second Saturday, except for January. We alternate with visits to places of historic interest in the region and having interesting guest speakers at the House.
Enquiries about events, membership, programmes, hiring Hockin House and arranging tours through the house should be made to the President, Cliff Thomas or Archivist Betty Smith (contact details below).
The Committee are planning to open the House once a week in the summer months, and this will be advertised in the local papers.
A monthly newsletter is sent out to members. The annual subscription is $35.00 for adults or $52.50 for a family in one household.
Waikato Historical Society Inc
Phone (07) 855 5592
137 Grandview Road, Hamilton 3200
Phone (07) 846-4981